Check-out Archives of our Newsletter, or Historical Pictures
Return to the first page
This page will give you an idea of where our Lions Club is coming from:
Lions Club International History:
In 1917, Melvin Jones was a
young Chicago Insurance man serving as a secretary of the "Business
Circle", a men's luncheon group devoted to promoting the business
interests of its members. As he noted growing apathy in the
club’s membership, he asked, "What if these men, who are
successful because of their drive, intelligence, and ambition, were put
to work helping their communities?"
The idea became a reality when, at the request of Mr. Jones
representatives of men’s clubs throughout the United States met
in Chicago on June 7, 1917 and formed Lions Clubs International. Under
the leadership of Melvin Jones, who soon gave up his successful
insurance agency to devote full time to Lionism, the organization
By 1925, membership was almost 60,000 with 1,183 clubs. By this time
Canada, China and Mexico had become members making the organization
Helen Keller addressed the 1925 Lions Clubs International Convention,
and challenged the membership to become "Knights of the Blind in the
Crusade Against Darkness".
The association continued to grow both in numbers and in services. By
the mid 1950's, Lions Clubs adopted the motto "We Serve" and were
active in every continent.
Today’s association is the largest service organization in the
world, bringing humanitarism and assistance to the community. We are
also the most efficient at distributing to charities 98% of the money
raised for charity.
Fullerton Host Lions Club History:
The Fullerton Host Lions
Club was chartered in 1939. It is a part of the International
Association of Lions Club. Since 1941, through many activities, the
Fullerton Host Lions have been involved in fund-raising to aid the
visually impaired and other related programs.
In order to support other worthwhile activities and organizations in
the community, the Fullerton Host Lions sponsored in 1950 a "Fullerton
Lions Club Fair". This fair had been an annual event until 1984. Over
the years, it had been responsible for the direction of hundreds of
thousands of dollars into the local charities, youth organizations,
toward needy people, hospitals, and the City of Fullerton. This event
then became a yearly golf tournament.
A contribution of $28,500 to the city of Fullerton in 1959 enabled the
city to develop the Fullerton Municipal Golf Course. In return for
this, the city dedicated "Lions Field" on Brea Blvd. to the Lions Club.
This site was for many years the home of the fair. In 1969, the club
through its charity funds and the labor of its members built the Lions
Memorial Building on Lions Field. The club donated this building to the
city and it is used extensively by the city and other organizations.The
building and facilities of the Boys Club of Fullerton and the Child
Guidance Center of North Orange County were constructed mainly from
funds and the labor of the members of the Fullerton Lions Club.
further promote Lionism in the community, Fullerton Host Lions
sponsored the Fullerton Breakfast Lions Club in 1965. The name is due
to the fact that they met in the morning. The club was known for it's
annual crafts fair, which was successful until 2005. Another project
that gained national coverage was the "Carol Guscott Fund" which was
established to aid a woman regain sight and undergo plastic surgery,
after she was devastated by an acid attack. They organized a
kite-flying contest at CSUF, and participated in the Fullerton Railroad
Days Fair. In 2009, The club sponsored the Troy High School LEO club,
which has grown to 100 members.
In 2010, Both clubs merged
again under the Host name, with meeting times in the morning or evening
to accommodate the various members.
Over the years, Fullerton Lions have given over 1000 eye
examinations and donated eyeglasses when needed, This is the main
objective of the Lions Clubs of the world : to help the blind and
visually impaired to live a more productive life.
More recently, our club has become involved with support of youth and students in Fullerton.
We continue to support Fullerton Collaborative, YMCA
and FSD sponsored youth events such as the "Faces of
Fullerton", "Youth Days", and "Healthy Day Fair" with
health-related and fun activities as the opportunities presents
- This was exemplified in two programs:
- 1) Leos: There are two Leo clubs in Fullerton;
the Sunny Hills High School Leos sponsored by the Fullerton Host Lions,
and, the Troy High School Leos sponsored by the Fullerton Breakfast
Lions. Both clubs provide the youth with a chance to complete hours of
community service and apply these toward college. They also learn
Leadership skills that will help them later in life.
- 2) Chess Activities: There are currently 9
chess clubs run under the sponsorship of the Fullerton Host Lions. They
can be found in the Junior High schools, Elementary schools and Boys
& Girls Club throughout the city. Children learn new skills during
club hours and then apply them during Tournaments (Individual and
Team). Chess has been shown to enhance scholastic aptitude.
about us | newsletter | services | what's new | feedback | email
Copyright 2001-2015 KIROMARK. All rights reserved.